Thursday, November 5, 2009

Foodie Friday - A Heavenly Banana Cake

So I did get my very own copy of Heavenly Cakes, Rose Beranbaum's new book. I haven't signed up to be a Heavenly Baker because of too many on going projects, but I have dabbled a bit with a few of the recipes.

Last weekend, I made her Banana Refrigerator Cake with Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting. This cake is a bona fide winner. Who knew that a banana cake could be so light, so tasty, so spectacular???

For the first time ever, I used baking strips around the outside of the pans and I have to admit that I am thrilled with the results. The cake rose perfectly and the outside edges didn't over brown while the center finished baking. I'm a convert. I'll be using them from now on.

Next time I make this cake, I'll definitely use Rose's frosting variation that omits the white chocolate. Even though the frosting on this cake is pretty wonderful, my husband and I have agreed that we're just not white chocolate lovers. For those of you who are, go for it. You'll have a heavenly experience.

Please go visit our Foodie Friday hostess, Michael Lee, at Designs by Gollum. You'll finds tons of folks who have prepared a Foodie Friday post.

PS: Maybe next week I'll have some pictures from the benefit tea that we're doing this weekend at our local library. I started baking today and I'll be at it until tea time on Sunday afternoon, so please forgive me if I don't visit you all until after Sunday!

8 comments:

  1. My husband is the banana lover at our house. I know he would love this (and I would love the book!). Good luck with your benefit and baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can actually smell the lovely aromas coming from this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I love banana breads and cakes, and my hubby is a fan, too... I think I'll have to try this. Bad idea to look at this post before I've eaten breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, now I will splurge for the strips! I have thought about it, but if you say so!
    The cake does look heavenly.
    I agree about the white chocolate..
    Look forward to your Tea pictures..pinky raised..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy Jane, I can't wait to try this. It really does look amazing. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great! I'm always looking for things I can bake that use up my bananas. Thanks!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! That looks delicious! This would make a wonderful dessert for Thanksgiving dinner! Thanks for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nancy Jane - I'm so pleased to see you made the banana cake from Rose's new book. I haven't made it yet, but I'm looking very forward to it.

    I love your photos... so tempting.

    Nice Red Hat Society party too. What fun!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete

Please take a minute to say hello! I would love to hear from you...