Watch out Ladies! That cute little gardener over at Tootsie Time with the innocent smile just might be a sly one. I'm pretty sure she's noticed that I haven't really started my blog, and she sensed that I would just have to post in response to a tag! How could I not respond to my garden guru??? Thanks Tootsie for the gentle nudge in the right direction. Now, the tag involves sharing 6 unimportant things about me. Limiting this to only six was a tough one, but here's the short list:
1) I cook and bake from scratch. Okay...full disclosure here...occasionally I'll grab something like a box of Aunt Jemima pancake mix, or Zatarain's rice, but not too often. I dislike cakes from mixes and never use them. Hmmm... last Friday I did make brownies from a mix for company. (I had every intention of making the little tarts from the recipe that Gollum posted, but couldn't get to the "good" store for lemon curd.) I did dress the brownies up by throwing a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top, and drizzling the whole thing with homemade hot fudge sauce. The company didn't complain, except after seconds, they said they were too full! Now that I think about it, maybe I'd better change #1 to mostly cook and bake from scratch.
2) Everything in my kitchen must be in it's designated spot. This is especially true of my spices. They have to be put back in their place on the turntables. A friend once accused me of alphabetizing my spices, but this was a vicious lie. I sort them by type.
3) Once I start reading a book, I can't stop. I will neglect my house, ignore my husband, and not bathe, eat or sleep until I turn the last page. Luckily, I read fast and finish most books in a few hours, thus sparing the world a smelly, hungry, sleep deprived woman.
4) I suffer from acrophobia. I don't like heights, and it's getting worse as I'm getting older. When we were building our house, my husband declared that he wanted a crystal chandelier in our 19 foot high front entry hall. I said no. I didn't think crystal suited the house, and who was going to get on a very tall ladder and clean it or change a light bulb? Certainly not moi! My husband said he would clean it, but I had this terrible vision of him on a ladder waving a Swiffer duster like a magic wand and declaring it "clean enough". We 'discussed' this for months, and my husband finally "won", but only because I discovered light lifts. I marveled at them at Lincoln Center in Manhattan for years, but had no idea they were used in residential construction. Turn the key and the darn thing is at eye level for cleaning. Turn the key the other way and it's back in place. This brilliant invention allowed us to avoid nasty divorce proceedings. (Yes, I would have gone after custody of the chandelier!)
5) Once the weather is warm enough I wear thongs. Okay ladies, shame on you! Derail that train of thought right now. I'm talking sandals here. At last count there were 21 pairs in my closet. They are my footwear of choice for warm weather, and I refuse to wear closed shoes again until it's cold enough to turn my toes blue! The only exception to this rule are my crocs, which are mandatory garden wear when it's wet!
I REFUSE TO POST A PICTURE FOR #6!!!
6) I despise Jello. I especially despise cherry Jello. It just lays on your tongue and raises your blood sugar to alarming levels. It is not food. It is not a toy. I'm not sure what it is! It also ruins perfectly good alcohol when you turn it into Jello shots! Yuck! It should be banned, just like DDT.
I don't know many bloggers well, since I'm just getting off of the ground posting, but I would like to tag Cindy at Romantic Home and Pat at Back Porch Musings. Have a great day. Nancy
Friday, June 6, 2008
Don't know about you, but I've had a less than perfect week, so thought you might enjoy seeing something that always brings a smile to my face...the Mrs. Bunny cookie jar!
I can't believe that I almost sold her at my garage sale! What was I thinking??? Hope every bunny has a good weekend!
Sunday, June 1, 2008
I've been trying to start this blog for quite a while but keep running out of time! Maybe it was the garage sale that I had last weekend, or the hours I've been spending in the garden. Then again it could have been the meetings at church, or book club or well, you get the picture...So consider this my first post! Not much, but it's a start, and I will probably be too embarrassed to leave it up for too long. That should prompt me to actually write something more substantial. At least this way I can get a comment and stall for some time while I figure out how to use the system more efficiently! Please check back again tomorrow! I'm going to try to post some garden photos!